The following walkthrough provides a step-by-step guide on configuring an active directory domain in CloudShare. A simplified guide of these steps is provided in our Community Help area.
1. View the AD machine (click 'View Machine').
2. Copy the Domain administrator password:
Click the 'more details' link in the upper right side of the page and copy the domain name, administrator name, password, see below:
For example in this case the user name is: ad2008r2\Administrator and the password is: Dm1l0Y32AL. This means that the domain name for this domain is AD2008R2.LOC. This information will be used to add the VM to the domain.
3. Go to the VM networking configuration and add the domain controller internal IP as the first DNS option (leave the original DNS server IP as the alternate DNS server):
4. View the machine you want to add to the domain and adjust the DNS to point to the IP of your Domain Controller
5. Go to 'Computer', right-click and select properties.
6. Under Computer name, domain and workgroup settings, choose 'change setting':
7. Click the “Network ID” button and follow the wizard to join the VM to the account.
- As the domain name use the above name - AD2008R2.LOC (note, if you get an error in the following process, try removing '.LOC' from the Domain name.
- Use the Administrator user and password as copied from the above step - user: Administrator; password: Dm1l0Y32AL.
8. Click next and fill in the domain name with the same domain name as above (the computer name should not be changed.):
9. Add user, password and domain in the next popup windows (as in step #8 above):
10. Follow the next wizard’s steps and reboot the VM as wizard requires.
At this stage the domain membership is defined at the OS level, now we will need to configure the CloudShare portal.
1. After the VM reboots (logs in with the local user not the domain) , go to 'Edit environments > Edit domains
2. Click on the number of VMs in the domain and “add Machines”
3. Add the new domain machine
4. Confirm changes
5. Save changes
The VM has now been added to the domain in CloudShare